Learning the keyboard shortcuts of your DAW will give you a major boost in your production workflow and productivity. It can also help keep your creative energies flowing when recording and mixing by not encumbering your ideas with the sometimes clumsy interface of pointing and clicking.
One of the most essential keyboard shortcuts is creating tracks and track groups. Even the simplest pieces of music can end up having dozens of tracks when you add up all of the audio recordings, virtual instruments, effects sends and buses. If you’re clicking your mouse around to create and organize all of these tracks, you’re wasting time. Here are the essential functions worth learning today.
Create a New Track
Plain and simple. Creating a new track is as easy as a keystroke in every major DAW. In most cases, a dialogue box is brought up with the option for you to select the kind of track you want to create.
Shift + Command + N makes new track in Logic Pro and Pro Tools. (The “N” is for new.) Ableton lets your skip the dialogue box by giving you different shortcuts, Control + T (PC) / Command + T (Mac) makes a new audio track, while Shift + Control + T (PC) / Shift + Command + T (Mac) creates a new MIDI track.
Create a New Group
A group is a number of tracks that are linked together. Adjustments made to one track in the group typically affect the other tracks in the group, so that you can adjust a whole section by manipulating just one fader. An example of this is with a drum recording. Typically, the snare, kick and cymbals would all be recording in separate tracks. Once you’re in the mixing phase, it’s much easier to mix the drums as one stem in the mix than having to tweak all three tracks. So you would put the all of the tracks that make up the drums into a group.
To create a group in Pro Tools and the Mac version of Ableton, select the tracks you want to link (shift + click) and the hit Command + G. The PC version of Ableton works with Control + G. Logic Pro unfortunately only allows you to designate groups by clicking in the Mix window.
Though simple, don’t underestimate the effectiveness of learning these two shortcuts by heart. It will cut your mixing and mastering time down significantly and allow the creativity to keep flowing.
Make Pro Songs
Welcome to Sage Audio — where we’ve been providing top-tier studio mastering services and audio education for over two decades now. We understand the challenges of achieving that elusive "professional" sound and are committed to helping you attain it in your own mixes and masters.
That’s why we created the Sage Audio Membership™.
Just for signing up, you receive 10 free mastered songs per month with your own dedicated mastering engineer, unlimited mixing feedback, and access to Sage Audio University™ mixing and mastering courses - which include start-to-finish walkthrough sessions for various genres and 35 multitrack sessions for hands-on practice.
This platform is supported by our thriving community and tight-knit network of audio engineers. Every day, we see and hear great wins in the membership from both new and seasoned engineers, noticing a huge improvement in their mixes and masters after joining.
There are 6 unique value-points inside the Sage Audio membership, so let’s go over each one so you can decide if it’s the right fit for you.
1. 10 Free Mastered Songs Per Month
- Get 10 free mastered songs per month with your own dedicated professional mastering engineer so you can get all your mixes sounding like professional songs.
- All 10 free mastered songs per month will accumulate in your account and will not expire as for as long as you remain a member.
- You’ll get your own dedicated Sage Audio mastering engineer to discuss all your project needs 1:1 so they can create custom masters that are specific to you and sound exactly how you want.
- Unlimited revisions with your dedicated Sage Audio mastering engineer. As a standard of our service, we are not happy until you are happy with the sound of your masters.
- All masters are delivered as commercial, industry-standard high-resolution 24-bit HD WAV masters so they will sound clean and clear on every platform.
2. Unlimited Mixing Feedback
- Get unlimited mixing feedback from Sage Audio engineers and community members so you can quickly improve your mixes.
- This is highly valuable - giving you access to a thriving community of mixing engineers who can provide you with feedback about what you can improve first before sending your mix to be professionally mastered.
3. Sage Audio University™ (SAU) — (Mixing and Mastering Education Platform)
- SAU is a modern audio engineering education platform that includes in-depth mixing and mastering course curriculums that match the new music industry.
- SAU is designed for every experience level, ranging from first-time mixing engineers to advanced engineers. The techniques and concepts taught can be applied to any DAW to create industry-leading mixes without expensive software or plugins - and free plugin alternatives are suggested throughout every course curriculum.
- SAU course curriculums include Start-to-Finish session walkthrough lessons for multiple genres so you can follow along with your preferred genre.
- SAU Membership Degree Certification, which can be downloaded and showcased on your website, social channels, and portfolio for as long as you remain a member.
- Get first access to all future SAU course curriculums to continually build and refine your mixing and mastering skills as the industry evolves.
4. Sage Audio Community
- The Sage Audio community is a tight-knit community of passionate audio engineers that can provide you with real-world mixing feedback, discussions, mix competitions, networking, collaborations, and more.
5. 700+ In-depth Sage Audio Mixing and Mastering Videos
- Access 700+ in-depth Sage Audio mixing and mastering videos - curated and organized into playlists so you can take a deep-dive into all aspects of audio engineering with thousands of hours of concise, expertly crafted Sage Audio videos to continually improve your mixing and mastering skills at your own pace.
6. 70+ GB of Curated Sage Audio Downloadable Content, Including:
- 36 multitrack sessions spanning multiple genres for mixing practice.
- 57 un-mastered mixes spanning multiple genres for mastering practice.
- 62 Recommended Free Plugins List (vetted, tested, and approved, so you don’t have to).
- 39 Recommended Paid Plugins List (vetted, tested, and approved, so you don’t have to).
- 58 Sage Audio custom plugin presets to improve your mixes and masters.
- Sage Audio Membership Badge to showcase on your website, social channels, and portfolio.