For the first time, more than half of Americans that are 12-years-old or over listen to internet radio.
According to “The New Mainstream,” a study by Edison Research and funded by the Streaming Audio Task Force, 53 percent of adults that are online listen to internet radio. While this certainly reinforces the obvious fact that internet radio is gaining a strong foothold as a medium of choice in the music industry, there are a couple of disclaimers we need to explore first before looking deeper into the study.
- The Streaming Audio Task Force is a group put together by Spotify, Pandora and TuneIn to produce market research on internet radio-related topics. Obviously those companies have a clear vested interest in their subject matter.
- The study is referring to “internet radio” as, basically, any way a user streams music online. This includes the classic definition of internet radio, labeled here as Personalized Radio (example: Pandora), as well as Live Streaming (example: iHeartRadio) and On-Demand Streaming (example: Spotify). Lumping these three groups together is something not typically done when looking at the listening patterns of internet users, not just because of the different types of listening experiences each provides, but also because they also are separated when it comes to legal classification.
Regardless, the new information shows a great growth in the digital music industry. In fact, another study researched listening habits during the first two months of this year and found that only 45 percent of users were listening to internet radio (as defined by the Streaming Audio Task Force).
It should also be pointed out that information making up “The New Mainstream” study comes from before iTunes Radio was released as a new competitor to Pandora in the Personalized Radio market. While it is unclear as yet how big of a player Apple’s service will become, it already has made a big splash with more than 11 million users tuning in during the first week the service was available.
Breaking the numbers down further, the survey finds that the most popular internet radio format is Personalized Radio, with 39 percent of online users listening to this platform. Streaming Live is next with 27 percent of online users, and On-Demand streaming follows with 18 percent. Obviously there is some overlap of listeners among the three platforms.
It’s also interesting that the study points out how users listen to online radio, particularly how big of a force mobile is. While 78 percent listen to online radio on their computer, 70 percent of those that listen to internet radio also listen to it on a smartphone.
Certainly internet radio has long been a threat to traditional AM/FM radio, as well satellite radio, and that threat may be even bigger now that so many listen to the radio online. However, while 67 percent of users say they listen to more online radio than they did a year ago, 81 percent they listen to the same or more over-the-air AM/FM radio than they did in the same period. Could it be that online radio is not a replacement for airwave radio, but rather a complement to it? As with most things in the digital music sphere, time will tell.
Make Pro Songs
Welcome to Sage Audio — where we’ve been providing top-tier studio mastering services and audio education for over two decades now. We understand the challenges of achieving that elusive "professional" sound and are committed to helping you attain it in your own mixes and masters.
That’s why we created the Sage Audio Membership™.
Just for signing up, you receive 10 free mastered songs per month with your own dedicated mastering engineer, unlimited mixing feedback, and access to Sage Audio University™ mixing and mastering courses - which include start-to-finish walkthrough sessions for various genres and 35 multitrack sessions for hands-on practice.
This platform is supported by our thriving community and tight-knit network of audio engineers. Every day, we see and hear great wins in the membership from both new and seasoned engineers, noticing a huge improvement in their mixes and masters after joining.
There are 6 unique value-points inside the Sage Audio membership, so let’s go over each one so you can decide if it’s the right fit for you.
1. 10 Free Mastered Songs Per Month
- Get 10 free mastered songs per month with your own dedicated professional mastering engineer so you can get all your mixes sounding like professional songs.
- All 10 free mastered songs per month will accumulate in your account and will not expire as for as long as you remain a member.
- You’ll get your own dedicated Sage Audio mastering engineer to discuss all your project needs 1:1 so they can create custom masters that are specific to you and sound exactly how you want.
- Unlimited revisions with your dedicated Sage Audio mastering engineer. As a standard of our service, we are not happy until you are happy with the sound of your masters.
- All masters are delivered as commercial, industry-standard high-resolution 24-bit HD WAV masters so they will sound clean and clear on every platform.
2. Unlimited Mixing Feedback
- Get unlimited mixing feedback from Sage Audio engineers and community members so you can quickly improve your mixes.
- This is highly valuable - giving you access to a thriving community of mixing engineers who can provide you with feedback about what you can improve first before sending your mix to be professionally mastered.
3. Sage Audio University™ (SAU) — (Mixing and Mastering Education Platform)
- SAU is a modern audio engineering education platform that includes in-depth mixing and mastering course curriculums that match the new music industry.
- SAU is designed for every experience level, ranging from first-time mixing engineers to advanced engineers. The techniques and concepts taught can be applied to any DAW to create industry-leading mixes without expensive software or plugins - and free plugin alternatives are suggested throughout every course curriculum.
- SAU course curriculums include Start-to-Finish session walkthrough lessons for multiple genres so you can follow along with your preferred genre.
- SAU Membership Degree Certification, which can be downloaded and showcased on your website, social channels, and portfolio for as long as you remain a member.
- Get first access to all future SAU course curriculums to continually build and refine your mixing and mastering skills as the industry evolves.
4. Sage Audio Community
- The Sage Audio community is a tight-knit community of passionate audio engineers that can provide you with real-world mixing feedback, discussions, mix competitions, networking, collaborations, and more.
5. 700+ In-depth Sage Audio Mixing and Mastering Videos
- Access 700+ in-depth Sage Audio mixing and mastering videos - curated and organized into playlists so you can take a deep-dive into all aspects of audio engineering with thousands of hours of concise, expertly crafted Sage Audio videos to continually improve your mixing and mastering skills at your own pace.
6. 70+ GB of Curated Sage Audio Downloadable Content, Including:
- 36 multitrack sessions spanning multiple genres for mixing practice.
- 57 un-mastered mixes spanning multiple genres for mastering practice.
- 62 Recommended Free Plugins List (vetted, tested, and approved, so you don’t have to).
- 39 Recommended Paid Plugins List (vetted, tested, and approved, so you don’t have to).
- 58 Sage Audio custom plugin presets to improve your mixes and masters.
- Sage Audio Membership Badge to showcase on your website, social channels, and portfolio.