Do you have to have a dedicated drive exclusively for your audio files? Having one can save you all kinds of studio headaches. Get it now! In fact, get two.
How Does Having an Extra Drive in Your Studio Work?
We all know that the high resolution audio files that we use to record are big. So needless to say, they take up a ton of space on your hard disk. By storing these files on a separate hard disk (and running them off the hard disk while you are recording), you save a ton of space on your original computer hard drive.
This freed space on your computer allows it to do what it does best: process. And without all those audio files weighing it down, it can do this faster. Which means you get less sluggishness, processor overloading, and computer freezes.
How Do I Save to An External Hard Drive?
While your DAW (ProTools, Logic, etc.) will be installed on your original computer drive, when you start a new session and are prompted to save, save to the additional drive. All of your audio files will then be run from the drive and not take up space on your computer.
What Kind of Hard Drive Should I Get?
Though portable external hard drives are much more powerful than they used to be, it’s still a good idea to go with a desktop hard drive that requires its own power so it is not being powered by your computer. Additionally, these models tend to offer more storage, faster processing speeds, and better durability.
If you’re recording on a laptop, you’ll likely have no choice but to get an external hard drive, but if you are working with a tower you may be able to choose an internal drive, depending on your system.
How Many Drives Should I Get?
For recording, you only need the one that you are running your files off of. However, you should have at least one more drive to serve as a backup storage. It cannot be said enough how important it is to have as many backup copies as possible of all your work. Hard drives fail, computers fail, and it’s a fact of the industry (and life), and if you don’t have a backup plan, then all of your work may be for naught.
Nearly just as important, update your backups often. You don’t want to encounter a problem right at the end of a project, only to find you only have the first day’s worth of work saved to your backup drive.
Make Pro Songs
Welcome to Sage Audio — where we’ve been providing top-tier studio mastering services and audio education for over two decades now. We understand the challenges of achieving that elusive "professional" sound and are committed to helping you attain it in your own mixes and masters.
That’s why we created the Sage Audio Membership™.
Just for signing up, you receive 10 free mastered songs per month with your own dedicated mastering engineer, unlimited mixing feedback, and access to Sage Audio University™ mixing and mastering courses - which include start-to-finish walkthrough sessions for various genres and 35 multitrack sessions for hands-on practice.
This platform is supported by our thriving community and tight-knit network of audio engineers. Every day, we see and hear great wins in the membership from both new and seasoned engineers, noticing a huge improvement in their mixes and masters after joining.
There are 6 unique value-points inside the Sage Audio membership, so let’s go over each one so you can decide if it’s the right fit for you.
1. 10 Free Mastered Songs Per Month
- Get 10 free mastered songs per month with your own dedicated professional mastering engineer so you can get all your mixes sounding like professional songs.
- All 10 free mastered songs per month will accumulate in your account and will not expire as for as long as you remain a member.
- You’ll get your own dedicated Sage Audio mastering engineer to discuss all your project needs 1:1 so they can create custom masters that are specific to you and sound exactly how you want.
- Unlimited revisions with your dedicated Sage Audio mastering engineer. As a standard of our service, we are not happy until you are happy with the sound of your masters.
- All masters are delivered as commercial, industry-standard high-resolution 24-bit HD WAV masters so they will sound clean and clear on every platform.
2. Unlimited Mixing Feedback
- Get unlimited mixing feedback from Sage Audio engineers and community members so you can quickly improve your mixes.
- This is highly valuable - giving you access to a thriving community of mixing engineers who can provide you with feedback about what you can improve first before sending your mix to be professionally mastered.
3. Sage Audio University™ (SAU) — (Mixing and Mastering Education Platform)
- SAU is a modern audio engineering education platform that includes in-depth mixing and mastering course curriculums that match the new music industry.
- SAU is designed for every experience level, ranging from first-time mixing engineers to advanced engineers. The techniques and concepts taught can be applied to any DAW to create industry-leading mixes without expensive software or plugins - and free plugin alternatives are suggested throughout every course curriculum.
- SAU course curriculums include Start-to-Finish session walkthrough lessons for multiple genres so you can follow along with your preferred genre.
- SAU Membership Degree Certification, which can be downloaded and showcased on your website, social channels, and portfolio for as long as you remain a member.
- Get first access to all future SAU course curriculums to continually build and refine your mixing and mastering skills as the industry evolves.
4. Sage Audio Community
- The Sage Audio community is a tight-knit community of passionate audio engineers that can provide you with real-world mixing feedback, discussions, mix competitions, networking, collaborations, and more.
5. 700+ In-depth Sage Audio Mixing and Mastering Videos
- Access 700+ in-depth Sage Audio mixing and mastering videos - curated and organized into playlists so you can take a deep-dive into all aspects of audio engineering with thousands of hours of concise, expertly crafted Sage Audio videos to continually improve your mixing and mastering skills at your own pace.
6. 70+ GB of Curated Sage Audio Downloadable Content, Including:
- 36 multitrack sessions spanning multiple genres for mixing practice.
- 57 un-mastered mixes spanning multiple genres for mastering practice.
- 62 Recommended Free Plugins List (vetted, tested, and approved, so you don’t have to).
- 39 Recommended Paid Plugins List (vetted, tested, and approved, so you don’t have to).
- 58 Sage Audio custom plugin presets to improve your mixes and masters.
- Sage Audio Membership Badge to showcase on your website, social channels, and portfolio.